Participants: FAQs

What do I have to do to enroll in a program?

Check with your country’s Exchange Agent for a complete list. You can also send us an email for more details. However, here are some of the basic requirements you must meet and steps you must take to take advantage of our programs.

  • Be a current, recently graduated (1 year or less post-graduation) university student or having a minimum of 5 years of professional experience in their career field.
  • Obtain a J-1 visa
  • Fill out all forms and documentation as required by your country’s Exchange Agent
  • Speak English
  • Have prior work experience in your field of interest (except for the Work & Travel Program, which does not require previous work experience)
  • Be able to cover your own living expenses while in the Program

What expenses will I have?

You will have to cover your visa cost, program expenses (which includes medical insurance, administrative costs, and support throughout the program) and any travel and living expenses you incur while in the program.

What is the time frame from when I interview to when I start my job?

Typically a company will complete the hiring process 2-3 months before you are needed/due to arrive.

Will I receive housing?

Housing is ultimately the responsibility of the Participant. However, we encourage our Companies to help out by offering suggestions about suitable housing in their area. Our TransUSA support team can also help you locate adequate housing.

Will I have medical insurance?

Yes. Your program fees include medical insurance. In addition, the employer will have Workman’s Compensation Insurance (which covers you if you’re injured on the job).

What if I want to leave?

TransUSA offers complete support, which includes mediation if there is a problem. If the issue cannot be resolved, you may cancel your participation in the project. If you cancel the contract, you will be required to return to your home country.

Still have more questions? Feel free to contact us at 1-415-834-5886